Alright people, I have so many great things to tell you this week. But let's start with a picture of my huge belly.
<--Look at that thing! That's 36 weeks of baby belly. I can't believe it's as big as it is. Although, I'd say it's absolutely a struggle to bend over and reaching my toes is on my Christmas list this year because I can't do it anymore. I can't put on my own shoes or socks and it's nearly impossible for me to lift my legs high enough to even get my pants on by myself anymore. I'm a little worried that I'll be completely naked due to disability by the time this child comes into the world...
My count: 36w3d
Dr. John: 35w6d
I could make you wait until the end of all those questions to read the updates from today's appointment with Dr. John, but truth be told, I'm getting a little sick of those questions and why make you wait? So here's what's up:
Noodle is still head down, and that's great. Noodle has become disengaged, however, since Noodle was engaged 2 weeks ago at 0 station, and is now currently sitting at -2 station and ballotable. (Ballotable means that baby is floating in the amniotic fluid and not positioned firmly in the pelvic bones. This term technically applies to anything freely floating in fluid.) The good part about the baby being ballotable is that Noodle still has the opportunity to turn face down, because currently our lovely Noodle is sunnyside up.
That, friends, makes me anxious. Turn your head, Noodle! Turn your head!!
I do NOT want to go through a sunnyside up labor and delivery, if we can manage it. So please, friends, say your prayers and such to get Noodle engaged correctly.
In other news, I'm still dilated to almost 2cm, and that makes me happy! I'd be very happy to be at 3cm at our next appointment on Wednesday, but we all know that dilation is really just nature's way of messing with a pregnant lady's mind...so, I'll just keep thinking positive about that.
Dr. John said my cervix was still long and he wasn't comfortable assigning an effacement percentage to me, which wildly contradicts Nurse C's assessment of 70% effaced 2 weeks ago. Grr. But I'll take it because honestly, most 3+TM's (moms with more than 2 previous births) don't really efface or engage before active labor. So honestly...it means very little.
We did the Group B swab today, what a wonderful experience that always is, am I right ladies? I've never tested positive for that and I'm not anticipating I will this time, but it'll be a relief to know I don't need the antibiotics during labor.
Needless to say, my contractions have picked up a little since the cervical exam this afternoon. Both in intensity and frequency. I can't tell you how RELIEVED I am to know that if I go into labor RIGHT NOW Noodle is safe and they won't stop the labor. It's been SO stressful to feel a panic at every contraction, every cervical twinge, every painful uterine and vaginal pressure...it's great to know that from this moment, going forward, everything is good and we can just roll with it.
That being said, Dr. John not only lifted all my restrictions, but encouraged me to gently encourage labor going forward. Not just because we all want this pregnancy over, but since it's been so hard on both Noodle and I, he feels that gentle progress would be best. None of us are expecting it to take much to convince my body to just do what it wants, but it's nice to know I can go up the stairs without risking anything, or wear my nipple shields without the fear of preterm labor. He encouraged me to do all of that!
But for those of you who are thinking of asking me about induction, don't bother. I don't believe in medical induction unless it's an emergency situation. And I don't believe in ingesting anything to induce myself, either, so save your stories about castor oil, raspberry tea and primrose oil. I trust my body to do what it needs to do when it's ready and capable of doing so. Truth be told, this pregnancy has been so hard that I honestly believe labor is going to be sooner rather than later and faster rather than slower. The last thing I want to do is rush it! I will allow a membrane strip at 40+ weeks, but only if we make it that far and only if I'm not showing signs of labor beforehand. That's about as induce-y as I get. ;)
(And just so we're all clear, I told Dr. John the same thing. He started talking about induction as early as next week and I told him I don't believe in it, so our conversations regarding techniques will be short and sweet.)
So, basically, here we go, people. It's go time. We've got the green light for me to resume normal activity (as long as I'm resting just so I don't exhaust myself before labor) and a green light for safe labor and delivery at any moment going forward. I can finally do the things I need to do to get ready for breastfeeding without worry of nipple stimulation, and I can even do a load of laundry or two or grocery shop without feeling like I'm the worst mother in the world! Huzzah!
And while you're praying for Noodle to turn his or her head, please also add that I'd prefer to labor and deliver and night instead of the day because I'm very, very familiar with the night staff at my hospital and I'd love to have someone I'm comfortable with rather than a total stranger.
So...you wanna know all those questions now?
How Big is Noodle?
Big enough to come out, that's how big.
Maternity Clothes?
It might sound foolish, but I did buy a new maternity skirt and tee shirt from the Goodwill this week. I figure I'll be in maternity clothes for awhile postpartum, so it'll work for me either way.
Stretch Marks?
No. Mwahahaha!
Sleep?
This answer honestly never changes, does it?
Sleep is terrible. I'm in the middle of HORRIBLE insomnia right now, so I'm falling asleep sometime around 4am and getting up every hour to pee and getting off the couch around 9am.
Yeah...
Best Moment of the Week?
Being told I can resume normal, and possible INCREASED, activity is pretty awesome. And knowing that Noodle is safe if I go into labor is really, really, really awesome.
Miss Anything?
Remember that bending over thing I mentioned earlier?
Food Cravings?
Fresh fruit and juice.
And water.
Food Aversions?
No. None. I'll eat whatever you put in front of me.
Labor Signs?
Contractions continue. And since my cervical exam today, they've become a bit more intense and painful...
Back pain.
Thigh pain.
Vaginal and cervical pressure.
I've lost A LOT of mucous over the last 48 hours. In fact, I lost a large bit of it today at the appointment! Mildly embarrassing...but also encouraging!
Irritability.
Happy or Moody?
Not at all either one. Just an emotional wreck. Every little thing continues to make me cry.
Looking Forward To?
Taking a hot shower in about 20 minutes. My back is ON FIRE.
Well, that's about it.
I'd like to say that I'm still sticking to my prediction of the 16th, which is next Monday...just 5 days from now. I'm sure I'm wrong, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. Especially since I'll be resuming activity between now and then.
I am taking predictions and storing them in my phone, for anyone that wants to participate. I can't say there's a pool, exactly, as there's no real prize for winning except the bragging rights. But I'd love to hear people's predictions just for fun!
(I'd also like to officially say that I think my mom is right on this one...we'll just have to see!)
Have a wonderful week, everyone.
Until next time...

No comments:
Post a Comment