Thursday, October 17, 2013

A whole new world!

I wanted to fill all of you in on the latest from our new doctor. We'll call him Dr. John.

First of all, let me summarize a bit. Mister and I were nervous heading into this because of our total dissatisfaction with our experience up to date. You all know this pregnancy has been harder than my others, and despite our complaints or trips to the ER or numerous questions about pain management, we have always just been told, "You're pregnant. You're 30. This is your third pregnancy. It's going to hurt. You'll be fine." Over and over and over. They never once tried to do anything to help alleviate the pain and in some instances, would treat us like we were whining and needed to get over it. Needless to say, I've spent the better part of this pregnancy feeling belittled and stupid, like something was wrong with me for not being able to tolerate it as easily as my others, questioning if my role as a SAHM was causing this difficulty because I wasn't as active as I was when I was working, feeling weak and incapable and overall, just embarrassed that I wasn't strong and tough.

Gah, just talking about it makes me tear up a little.

Night after night taking hot shower after hot shower, losing sleep, waking Mister up because I had to cling to him to breathe through contractions that are supposed to be "painless", not being able to do my chores or run my errands. And ending each day feeling like a total failure because I've been unable to take care of my family the way I said I would, all because I'm 30 and pregnant and too weak and dumb to deal with it.

Folks, it's been hard. I can't tell you how many nights I've cried on Mister's shoulder.

To make matters worse, I continue to have contractions. They even caught them on the monitor in the last trip the to ER. More than 4 an hour, which is what put me in the "almost PTL" category. It was more like 7-8 an hour. And some of those contractions were more than uncomfortable. Some of the contractions I have make me cry out in pain and sob hysterically, having to breathe through them, doubled over, cradling my bump like a wound. Yes, they wrap from the back to front. Yes, they include pelvic and cervical pressure. Yes, they include rythmic back pain. Yes, these are all labor signs. NO, NO ONE HAS DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I'm 30. I'm pregnant. It's my 3rd baby. I gotta get over it.

*ahem*

So, back to meeting Dr. John. We were nervous, to say the least. He was either going to be awesome, or he was going to be fired. We were tired of having medical professionals brush us aside and make us feel like a number on a chart instead of a couple having a baby. And when he first walked in and shook our hand, we told him exactly that. We wanted a more personal experience. We didn't expect to be VIP's, but we did expect to be treated with humanity and kindness and for the love of all things, we expected a nicer office staff!

Folks, Dr. John did all of those things, and then some. At one point, he made fun of himself in order to make a point to us that he was able to understand something we were concerned about. He answered every question we had, in detail, with not just the what but the why and the how. And at no point during the entire appointment did we feel rushed, belittled or unimportant.

I'd also like to add he's one of those awesome doctors that will answer a call from a patient in the middle of a conversation with another patient, to be sure everything is okay! (That patient was in labor.) That was really, really reassuring for me. At one point, that's going to be ME on that phone and it's wonderful to know he's going to drop everything he's doing to make sure everything with ME is going alright. That's what a doctor SHOULD be doing.

Anyway...

After discussing the pain with Dr. John he became very disappointed that no one has even attempted to deal with my pain yet. He explained that what I'm feeling isn't "normal" and it doesn't matter how old I am or how many pregnancies I've had, unidentifiable pain, especially accompanied with continuing contractions, isn't normal, nor is it something that I just have to deal with. He got even more disappointed once he understood that all I've ever been instructed was to drink water and lay down, and no one has yet to try to take steps to keep me from bedrest. He went further to explain that he also has kids and can understand the hardship and strain bedrest would put on me and the family if it occurred. He agreed that my contractions were somewhat worrisome in the long run and we should be taking steps to better help my body cope, to be proactive about keeping bedrest at bay. He reiterated that while we won't "cure" it, there are things we CAN try to at least help and if they don't work, then we'll discuss more options at that point.

...wait...what? There are actual things we can do to help my body cope better and possibly keep from bedrest later in my pregnancy?! SERIOUSLY!?

Encouraged and excited, Mister and I readily agreed to try ANYTHING. We're both worried that bedrest is in my future. So, Dr. John explained that the first thing he's going to do is pay close attention to my contractions and my lab results. While my labs have been clear so far, he has yet to see any of my records and he's interested to see what's in there. He also said he's going to continue to monitor any and all changes or even the things that stay the same, in order to be sure we're making progress with coping better. Whew! Then he explained that he's sending me to physical therapy. Hopefully we can strengthen the muscles in my back, legs and around my uterus so that my body will cope better with the pain and contractions. While we can't make the contractions stop, necessarily, strengthening those muscles will hopefully keep me from succumbing to them or causing them to progress into actual labor. And if that doesn't do any good, we'll try some massage therapy.

SAY WHAT?! That's like...an option?! OKAY!

Then he said he's ordering me a special maternity belt. It's a bit stronger than the ones we can buy at the store and he'll have it sent straight to our house for me. It'll at least help keep the strain off my legs and hopefully my back, by being more supportive of my uterine weight as Noodle continues to grow.

YEEHAW! I'll wear whatever it takes, dang it!

He explained that while these things won't make it all go away, it might make it possible for me to avoid bedrest all together, not to mention, help strengthen my body for labor and delivery. He then said it might also help me get back to doing more normal daily things without fear and extreme pain.
A man after my own heart, I tell ya!

For the frosting on the awesome cake, he then told us that he believes in 3 ultrasounds. He likes to do a late-term ultrasound, around 34 weeks or so, to check for three things that may help us in delivery.
1. How big the baby is.
2. Kidney and heart function.
3. Current amniotic fluid levels.
He said these things are all too often over looked in late stages and while they're not necessary, if we can see how big the baby is that soon to delivery, and whether there are any fluid problems or renal problems, why aren't we? Those things can actually HELP with delivery. If we know the baby is bigger or smaller, the staff (and me!) can be better prepared through labor. If we understand the amniotic levels with greater accuracy, that can help us all be better prepared through labor and delivery as well. And...it's fun to see the baby that close to delivery.

HOORAY! Yes, I want another ultrasound! I've only ever had 2!

Now...on the devil's advocate side, some will say he's sure ordering a lot of extra things that cost money. And that's true. But in my case, he can order whatever he wants if it'll help keep this baby safe and inside me for as long as Noodle needs to be strong and healthy at delivery. I don't care how many ultrasounds, therapy sessions or special belts he wants me to wear. I've never been more afraid of PTL in my life and he's actually DOING something to help me. It's freakin' wonderful, people. It's freakin' WONDERFUL.

Oh..and the most impressive part, in my opinion? He laid me down to measure me and listen to Noodle on the doppler. Pretty standard. And any pregnant woman out there these days is familiar with the cold jelly and the doctor swirling that wand all around the belly until that soft woosh-woosh-woosh is found mysteriously somewhere in that bump.

*ahem*

Dr. John felt Noodle's position with his hands, confirming Noodle was currently head-down. (Good job, Noodle! Stay there!) Then he felt for Noodle's feet. He pushed on the sides of my belly with his hands, softly and smiled at me, making small talk. He picked up the doppler and put the jelly ON THE DOPPLER TIP. ...say what now?... Then he literally put the doppler to my skin and there was baby's heartbeat. Dr. John didn't move that doppler tip so much as one centimeter. I mean, he hit it DEAD ON.

That might not seem like a big deal to you, but to me, that means he knows exactly what my baby is up to in that mysterious bump, by just feeling Noodle with his hands. That says experience to me. That shows me this guy ain't no joke, folks. He's got the inside scoop on babies.

Anyway, in the end, I am in love with our new doctor. He is kind and gentle and informative. He is jovial and just all around nice. He supports our decision to hopefully eliminate the need for an epidural, but also supports my decision to have one if I change my mind. (He explained this by referring to his need for an epidural when he himself gets a papercut. LOL.) He comforted our worries that I was nearing PTL by explaining that we have steps to take to keep that from happening. He was attentive and overall, he was just a swell dude.

Oh, and for you predictors out there, Noodle's heartrate was 140bpm this time.

Well, I suppose that's all the update you get this time. There'll be more on Monday. For now, I'm going to go put some chicken in the crock pot. Enjoy your day!

Boo & I enjoyin' some us time!



No comments:

Post a Comment